Thursday, December 18, 2008

Update & Uberman Day 1-2 (failure...)

Alright, I know I haven't updated this blog in a while. Sorry about that (although I'm not really expecting to have had that many readers at this point...yet :P). Since last time, I used naps to augment times when I haven't been sleeping properly, or to help me pull all nighters. Sometimes, I had a pseudo-everyman thing going, where I would sleep for 3-6 hours and than have naps throughout the day. For the most part, though, I reverted back to sleeping monophasically, about 7-10 hours, depending on the level of sleep deprivation I was experiencing. I tend to stay up late....and some days I'd get less sleep, and so on.

I have since decided to adapt to the uberman sleep pattern. I will be sleeping for approximately 20 minutes at the following times:

12 AM, 4 AM, 8 AM, 12 PM, 4 PM, and 8 PM.

I had a plan in my head to start on Monday, December the 15th, so Saturday (Dec 13th) night was the last night I had a normal sleep, and I started the naps about halfway through the day on Sunday. I decided that during the night, to make things easier, I'd take a nap every 2 hours instead of four. This meant that I'd sleep at 2, 4, 6, and 8 AM. Unfortunately, Monday, at around 6:30 AM, I took an extra nap and ended up sleeping for 4 hours. I continued the naps regardless. Then, Tuesday morning, at about the same time, I ended up oversleeping by 10 hours. Ooops.

These oversleeps both happened in the same way: first, I'd have an extra nap, to try and not be as tired and to kill some time. Then, after the nap, I'd wake up and decide that I wanted another nap. I did not wake up from the second nap, either through sucking at setting an alarm, or because I'd just sleep through it or turn it off in my sleep. I'm not really sure now, as I can't really remember.

What have I learned? Never EVER take a second nap, for any reason. If I absolutely have to, get up and move around for a half an hour or something before doing so, and make sure my alarm is set. My theory is that I had sleep inertia started, and the second nap just kept it going. Yep, this sucks.

No comments: